Thursday, December 12, 2013

Twelve Days of Coming Unto Christ--Day 3

Day Three:  Come unto Christ by REMEMBERING Him.

Today's scriptures to read were the sacrament prayers.  In each we covenant to "always remember Him."  As I thought today about remembering Christ, I thought about one of the Primary program songs we sang this year, "If the Savior Stood Beside Me."  Here are the words:

If the Savior stood beside me, would I do the things I do?
Would I think of His commandments and try harder to be true?
Would I follow His example?  Would I live more righteously
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

If the Savior stood beside me, would I say the things I say?
Would my words be true and kind if He were never far away?
Would I try to share the gospel?  Would I speak more reverently
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me?

He is always near me, though I do not see Him there,
And because He loves me dearly I am in His watchful care.
So I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be
If I could see the Savior standing nigh, watching over me.

This is a powerful song to me.  When I am angry at the children or short tempered with Kent, if I am thinking ill of someone or being unkind in any way, the words of this song will come into my head.  I will realize that I am not remembering Christ, that I am not living as if he were standing nigh.

We were given a bell today to put in a pocket or purse and then use it to remind us to keep the Savior in our thoughts.  I tied it to my belt loop and enjoyed its tinkling sound throughout the day.  I thought about it as Blythe demanded my help and attention as she wanted me to play a game with her, feed her, and read to her when I really wanted to be working on a photo book for Christmas.  And I thought about the Savior when the children were driving me crazy as they ran around while I was trying to prepare dinner.  It helped me be calmer, steadier, patienter.

The last activity suggestion was to gather as a family around the Christmas tree for a testimony meeting.  Each person could have a candle which they could light as they bore their testimony.  This was a bit much for my crew, but I did have us gather and then I asked everyone to share one thing they could do that would help them remember the Savior and act more like Him.  Here is what each one shared.

Brandt said, "We can do good things.  We can sing songs about Jesus."
Blythe said, "We can help others."
Kent said, "We can visit people who are lonely."
Katherine said, "We can not look at others to judge, but to love."

No comments:

Post a Comment